A “5mm white LED” typically refers to a light-emitting diode (LED) with a 5mm diameter package that emits white light. Here’s some information about these LEDs:
1. **Size:** The “5mm” designation refers to the diameter of the LED package. These LEDs are commonly used and are available in various colors, including white.
2. **Color:** “White” indicates that the LED emits white light. White LEDs are used in a wide range of applications, including as indicator lights, in displays, and for general-purpose lighting.
3. **Forward Voltage:** White LEDs usually have a forward voltage rating typically around 3.0 to 3.6 volts. The exact forward voltage can vary depending on the specific LED and its design.
4. **Forward Current:** The recommended forward current (the current required to operate the LED) for a 5mm white LED typically falls within a range of 10 to 20 milliamperes (mA).
5. **Luminosity:** The luminosity or brightness of the LED depends on its design and specifications. Some white LEDs are quite bright, making them suitable for various lighting applications.
6. **Viewing Angle:** The viewing angle determines how wide the emitted light spreads. 5mm LEDs often have a viewing angle of around 120 degrees, providing good illumination coverage.
7. **Lens Type:** These LEDs usually have a clear or diffused lens. Clear lenses emit focused, direct light, while diffused lenses provide more even and dispersed light.
8. **Polarity:** Like all LEDs, white 5mm LEDs are polarity-sensitive, meaning they must be connected with the correct polarity (positive and negative leads) to function properly. The longer lead is typically the positive (anode) lead, while the shorter lead is the negative (cathode) lead.
9. **Applications:** White 5mm LEDs are used in a wide variety of applications, including indicator lights on electronic devices, display lighting, flashlight bulbs, ambient lighting, and more.
10. **Power Efficiency:** White LEDs are known for their energy efficiency and longevity compared to traditional incandescent bulbs. They produce little heat and have a longer operational life.
11. **Operating Conditions:** White LEDs can operate within a range of temperatures and voltages, making them suitable for various environmental conditions.
These 5mm white LEDs are versatile components that are commonly used in electronics, DIY projects, and lighting applications. They are available in bulk and are relatively easy to use with the appropriate current-limiting resistor to prevent overcurrent and ensure longevity.